04 September 2010

Technologically Challenged

I am now convinced that there are some of us on this planet that are missing the gene that provides ability and understanding for tools of modern technology. Among those born into this unfortunate population are my husband, David, and myself. Fortunately it appears that our offspring have avoided this mutation and will continue to be productive and successful in a world dependent on batteries, chips, gigas, memory, and sufficient functioning brain cells.

Case in point: Our friend's two year old daughter can grab his I-Phone and navigate like nobody's business. Put one in my hand and I won't be able to turn it on, let alone make a call.

Having coffee with a friend this week she says, "You haven't updated your blog in 8 months!" (not technically accurate, but close.) I have no excuse, but here at least is an "explanation."

Two years ago our digital camera died. This past June we bought an inexpensive Kodak "EasyShare" ("Easy" being the operative word.) Happily I began taking pictures and even downloaded a few on my laptop. (It really was pretty easy.)

Mid July--computer won't recognize camera, can't download pictures. Fast forward to end of August--First attempt to re-download camera program. Result--need for full system back up of computer. Install Carbonite. Three days later(!!) computer is backed up on the free 15-day trial. Another week goes by (now it's September!)--second attempt to download camera program. Result--hard drive is out of memory. Run Disk defragmenter. Discovery--camera program is installed twice. Erase duplicate program. Connect camera and attempt to download pictures. Not recognized. Compress current files. No can do--insufficient memory. Spend hours deleting three years of emails and making CDs of four years of pictures to free up disk space. Not done yet. Stay tuned...........

So besides my lack of discipline to keep up this blog, my tendency to write chapters instead of posts, the other three family members clamoring to use my laptop (as our family PC died earlier this year)...I am officially "technologically challenged" and what would take any "normal" person 15 minutes takes me hours, that turn into weeks, months and years. Can someone tell me if there is a remedy for this, or could I at least get some government compensation for my condition? Better yet, maybe my 9 year old could become the family IT person. It can only get better!!

No comments: